Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Sunday, February 7, 2010

David Bolin

David Bolin here. From Searcy Arkansas. I'm an accountant (CPA) by trade specializing in bank management. I work for a (healthy) bank holding company in north central Arkansas. These have not been the best of times to say the least. But I'm thankful every day to have a job, a family to come home to, a rod shop to unwind in, and a river to wade. I have too many hobbies. Fishing, rod making, fishing, guitar, fishing, fly tying, fishing, blogging, fishing, etc... But who's counting. Now and then someone asks me how I can afford all the hobbies. I just spend all my four wheeler, shotgun, rifle, ammunition, beef jerky, beer, and cigarette money on fishing related stuff at the flea market. Whoever said fly fishing was a rich man's sport has never outfitted an Arkansas deer camp. I've only bought one new fly rod in a store. That was in my Dad's hardware store in 1980. It's a Garcia 2638-A 7wt "dry fly action" with an automatic fly reel. I upgraded to a used Daiwa LM-X F866U several years later for $50 and a Martin hardware store reel. Started buying defective graphite blanks and building my own rods after that. I've got a whole pile of home made graphite rods. Then the bamboo bug struck. A friend of mine (Matt West) fished his homemade bamboo rods on the Little Red. I thought that was very cool. But I didn't jump in the deep end of the pool until I met a bamboo rod making preacher at the Sowbug Roundup. He said I could make my own forms and the guy in the next booth just happened to have Wayne's book. I bought the book and made the forms. Preachers always seem to make things sound much easier than they really are. Making a set of steel forms falls in that category. I haven't forgiven Harry for that yet, but I'm working on it. So anyway, after making the forms, making rods is a walk in the park. The rest of my story is well documented on the blog. David

www.searcysowbug.blogspot.com