Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Todd Talsma

I just realized that I hadn't added that I'm from Zeeland, Michigan. > Lived within a 15 mile radius my whole life!!! > > Todd > > > Todd Talsma wrote: >> This is probably the best spot for me to jump in. >> >> I'm Todd, I'm a 45 year old rodmaker and I can change...if I have >> to....I guess! ;^) >> >> Seriously, I must have made my first rod somewhere around 1989 or >> so. My >> dad always had a couple of Montague rods hanging around when I was a >> kid. We always trout fished, just not very often with fly rods. My >> brother and I would play around a couple of times a year, but never >> very >> seriously. I always liked the thought of bamboo rods and didn't >> know if >> I could make one or not. I had built several spinning rods and a >> couple >> of plastic fly rods, so the basic building process was understood, >> but I >> didn't really know what I was getting into. I bought a copy of the >> Garrison/Charmichael book, read it and had serious misgivings. About >> the same time, I was able to buy a copy of George Barnes' first book. >> Well, George made it sound like anyone could make a rod so I dove >> right >> in. I still have a copy of the letter I received back from Harold >> Demarest when I inquired about pricing for bamboo. I ended up >> making a >> couple of rods and then put the rodmaking aside for quite a while >> when >> our children (now 18 & 15) were young and we moved into a house that >> didn't have a good spot for a shop. Back at it now though!! Never >> lost >> the bug, it just went dormant for a while. >> >> I took a look at the archives and my first post was back in >> September of >> 1996. "Mac" mentioned the tips site (Ralph Moon also eluded to it >> earlier). I found the first reference to it was back in August of >> 2001. I remember that Mac had a couple tips that were the first ones >> that I added way back then. From that start, the site is now up to >> 1126 >> pages (I just took a look at that too!). It's really a labor of >> love, >> plus I've been able to learn a lot in the process. When you read, >> format, reread, post and read the messages again, you've got to >> absorb >> some of that information, don't you??? >> >> In August or September of 2003, I received a call out of the blue >> from >> Bob Maulucci. He proposed that I take over publishing Power Fibers >> (you'll have to talk to Ron Barch about The Planing Form!). I >> thought >> about it for a couple of weeks and agreed to give it a go. Well, as >> they say, the rest is history. I just finished up my 6th year as >> editor >> and have enjoyed every bit of it. Between Power Fibers and the Tips >> Site, I've been blessed to meet some great people, both in person and >> online. >> >> I guess that's about it! >> >> Todd