Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Scott (C) Bennett

Ralph and Harry, Thank you for organizing this project. The "List" has always had a certain "togetherness" about it. I am C. Scott Bennett (C. Scott in deference to the other Scotts among us) from N. New Mexico. I've been fishing with cane rods since the early fifties when I used a bamboo bait casting rod fishing from my Dad's boat in the south shore bays of Long Island, NY. Fly fishing came later, fiberglass then graphite, and in 1977, I paid $100 for my first cane fly rod, a Phillipson Peerless, 7 1/2' 5 wt. That rod is still in use and still one of my favorites. I started fixing bamboo rods that had come my way needing various repairs and eventually found that I needed to be able to make replacement sections from scratch. I find it very gratifying to put a beat up old rod back into service even if it would be easier to just build a new rod. Those old rods just seem to have something special going for them. So now I have built or rebuilt (not restored) 15 or so rods. Presently on my bench I have an LL Bean (Edwards) major rebuild in progress, and a PHY Perfectionist taper I am making on the advice of Dr. Steve Weiss who let me cast his at CRR 2009. I have been on the Rodmakers List for about ten years. I try to contribute when I have something useful to add but mostly I just read and learn, southern comfort food notwithstanding. Finally, I would like to say how sad I am at the passing of John Channer. A few years back I was introduced to him at the start of a day fishing the San Juan R. His first words to me were "So you have also completely lost your mind." meaning of course, "welcome to the club". I was using an original E.C. Powell rod and he could not contain himself until he had fished with it for a while. He traded me the use of a "Greyrock Mystery" rod he had made which cast very well indeed and was an object of rodmaking beauty. I will surely miss his posts to the list. C. Scott