Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Peter McKean

My name is Peter McKean, and I have been on the List since about 1996 or so, which is a few years less than I have been building bamboo rods. I have always had a bamboo rod - the first rod I ever bought for fly lishing, in 1967, I was given a choice by the dealer of a Hardy Jet glass rod or a Gillies Peter Pan bamboo, with the strong implication that the cane would be the better buy. I still have the Peter Pan, so I guess he was right. Have gone through the plastics phase and come out the other side relatively unscathed, and returned to bamboo and making the things when I bought a copy of the Carmichael/Garrison book as a gift for my old father in law. Between The Book and with the unstinting help of a rod maker on the other side of the continent, Tony Young, I battled on through a few disastrous rods; and about that time I found the List. I am 67 years old, so while the rods may still be getting better, I am starting to deteriorate a bit. I live and work as a veterinarian in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia, where we have both a climate suitable for the making of bamboo rods and a great fishing resource, with both river and stillwater fishing mainly for wild browns. PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE ASIAN RODMAKERS WHO WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FLOODING OF THE US MARKET WITH CHEAP, MANKY RODS , SO IT'S QUITE OK TO BE POLITE TO ME. Cheers Peter