Thursday, February 4, 2010
Matthew Davies
Im Matt, residing in South Wales Uk , always have, maybe I always will? we have plenty of trout & grayling waters round here to fish so no need to up & leave .... Ive just turned 30 and have more or less been facinated with "Trout Craft" so to say ever since I picked up a fly rod when I was maybe 11.... Had fished for perch etc before that but fly fishing was the fancinator for me... Saw my first trout stuck in a lemonade bottle in a stream I still fish to this day, that was my first Release of a wild fish, but it was in the bottle when we found it so I take no credit of the catch ha ha ha.. Ive have had a big fancy for little brook wands very simply dressed for a long while but it is only now that I have almost completed the tools list in order to get cracking on my own wands, &, like alot of us do , I kick myself for not getting and doing this 10 or so years ago.... I've dabbled with 2 Strip quads, caught fish on them and am looking forwards to crafting the hex.... Biggest inspirations for me in the bamboo world would have to be Bjarne Fries & Marcelo Calviello hands down for their Thinking out side the box & unique style they both have brought to the wonderfull world of bamboo fly fishing rods Kudos to you both.. I have been reading Mr Fries articles on FIBH and am still getting fuzzy brained... Only time and practice will settle my mind, or make me insane? I actually appreciate any and all bamboo flyrods by all builders as we are all sharing the same interest & there is something to learn from each and every one of us & our rods.. Anyone from the South of Wales Uk please do get in touch as Ive not heard of anyone near by that is hand crafting bamboo rods but I sure as hell bet there is someone on the list?? Thanks to the creators of this list and to all who post, sharing freely information & techniques they may have strived to get them selves... I hope at some point I too will be able to give some knowledge to those starting out in the same way.. I will learn from those that have been in the game for longer than i have been alive.... Oh, and Timothy, forget those that took you up on spelling and Punctuations... You cast your fly accross this big old pond and I'll be sure to put it on a fat trouts nose... Some people just need to get out more rather than complaining they cant decipher some ones words, yet they can do all it takes to build tools and bamboo fly rods.. Crazy All the best & sorry if you fell asleep reading that... Ho ho ho Matthew Davies (nearly a maker) brecon beacons & black mountain range mountain walker Flytier & flyfisher of the Usk & wye valley tribs