Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Larry Swearingen

Hi All, I'm Larry Swearingen. I now live in Fort Wayne, IN and retired a little over two years ago to move here. John Gierach's book "Fishing Bamboo" got me started down the slippery bamboo slope. I started fly fishing in high school around 1961 or 62 but with fiberglass. My earliest fish memories are when I must have been 5 or 6 and Mom and Dad rented a stone cabin on the Meremac river at St. Clair, Mo. They would let me fish an overflow pond with a cane pole, cork bobber, green line and worms. I had a great time catching little sunfish and bullheads. Come to think of it that WAS my introduction to CANE ! But back to Gierach's book. I was foolish enough to believe that I could find a bamboo fly rod for what John said was a going rate. A Granger 9050 for about 150 bucks. Ha ! I was a few years too late. Eventually I got a beater Montague and was sorely disappointed. Eventually ended up spending a lot more than $150 for a 8 1/2ft Heddon #20. I came to really love that rod. I found Clark's Classic Fly Rod Forum somewhere in there and was interested in what the guys were saying about the Classic rods, Payne,Leonard etc. No way could I spend that kind of money on a fly rod. I got interested in making one. Yeah, that's the ticket. It'll be a lot cheaper ! Ha. is all I can say 'bout that. I found the List and got a few books to read first. Wayne's book, also Mauer and Elsner. I eventually saw Tony Spezio posting a lot on the List and got in touch with him. During a visit to Arkansas to see my Mother I went over to Tony's house and he spent 3 or 4 hours with me giving me a rundown on how a bamboo rod was made. I thought, "yes, I can do this." Thank you Tony ! I already had many of the hand tools from my career as a Cabinet/Furniture maker. The rest I found a way to make as I went along. I ordered 10 Culms of bamboo from Andy Royer up in Seattle and was on my way. Some of you may remember my forst post in 2003 saying that I had shed blood opening up my bundle of bamboo. That did not bode well. :>) My first rod was completed in Feb 2004 and I loved fishing it. But it wasn't enough. I had to start making the classic tapers I had read so much about. Still haven't finished that task. There's always another rod to try. I made a few rods for friends but for the most part what I make ends up in my rod rack. I had the thought that I could make a few rods for sale as suplamental income but after I moved here from California that doesn't seem to have worked very well. There's already a few guys here making rods for sale and I don't really know very many people, other than said rodmakers, here. So I have enough machinery now that I started making a few Planing Forms to sell at Rodmaker's Gatherings. It's worked out well so far. I've sold some 6 foot planing steel forms that can help beginners get started. I made my first set of forms with a drill press and hand files alone. That is very slow. Also a lot of guys seem to be intimidated by the process. I have the process worked out pretty well now and can make a set in batches of 4 or 5 in a reasonable time for a reasonable price. So if you need a set of 6 foot steel forms send me an email. I have 3 sets completed available now. Larry Swearingen Fort Wayne, IN New Hoosier