Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Larry Lohkamp

I'm one of those newer guys that pesters Harry and others. I am a retarded... 'er retired development engineer from the silicon carving business (analog VLSI semiconductors and such). While I started very young on my fishing addiction, I shot international pistol for some years and have this nice shelf of medals in the office. Nothing really important, but they look nice any way. A couple of years ago it became obvious that the old folks shiver was creeping into my hands, so I returned to my fishing. In going through the old fishin' stuff , I came across Dad's old bamboo fly rod. Not wanting to damage it stumbling around Northwest rivers I thought I would buy me a new one. It quickly became obvious that I didn't have the coin to fill my closet with new bamboo rods, and having spent all those years being paid to ask why-not and then go do it any way, I thought, " why not build my own." When I left the working world and moved from Washington to Arkansas, I built a small shop to play with bamboo. Last February I built my first rod. I didn't like the action. So I built another, which wasn't quite right either. So I built one with bamboo ferrules, which was better, but not perfect. Now rod #8 is in the drying cabinet. Maybe the rains will quit next year so I can try it out. I have resisted the offers to buy one of my rods... some people have no taste I guess 'cause they sure could be better than they are. I am now at the giving them away stage, so I still don't have a closet full of rods... guess I'll just have to make a few more. eh? Larry Lohkamp .