Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gordon Koppin

Guys, My Name in Gordon Koppin and I live just west of Chicago in Wheaton IL. I have been on the list for quite a while. I love building bamboo rods and fly fishing although I don't get to do much of either these days since I work 2 weeks a month in China. I started refinishing old bamboo rods when I got started in fly fishing in the early 80's since it was an inexpensive way to get into fly fishing. I still like those old cheap rods and have fished a couple of them in New Zealand many years ago. I always wanted to actually make one from bamboo myself. I started building rods in 1996 when I talked Ron Barch into coming to my house from Michigan and leading a class. I got about 6 guys who wanted to learn and organized it into two long weekends with a weekend in between for planing. Since then I have done about a dozen classes (although I only do 2-3 people at a time now), at my house where each person builds their own maple form the weekend before the class starts. I have made between 70 and 80 rods in hex, quad and two strip quads thanks to the help of a lot of characters I have met at the Catskill, Canadian and PA gatherings. I have not made it to the Southern or Michigan gatherings yet but they are on my wish list. I do not post much these days because I am usually 14 hours behind when I get them. Lots of friends in the group and from the gatherings. I love making 3 and 4 piece rods since they travel well and people say you cannot do this. I fished a 4 piece Perfectionist, that I made, in streams on the eastern side of Korea just a couple of miles below the DMZ there a couple of years ago. Caught a lot of rainbows and native cherry trout with a guide who moved from western Wisconsin. This is a great group and I really enjoy this list and the creativity. Keep it up guys and everybody have a very merry Christmas. Gordon