Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dave Cooper

My name is Dave Cooper and I'm 63. I got interested in fly fishing as a kid. The bluegills that I was fishing for had mouths to small for most of the lures in the store, except the flies, and they needed a fly rod that I didn't have. Finally in high school I got a fly rod - 9 ft 7 wt, level line, any piece of mono I could find for a leader, a few small flies and poppers. I didn't know what I was doing and didn't have anyone to teach me, but I had fun anyway. In 1969 I got out of the Marines and started working night shift. A few years later a friend got me to join a bass club. The club had 8-10 local tournaments for fun, no prizes. The next thing I knew there were sectional tournaments, state tournaments, and open tournaments. To be competitive I was fishing Saturday and Sunday every weekend, holidays, and vacation days. I was getting up at 3:30 in the morning so I could be on the lake at sunrise. FISHING BECAME WORK and was no longer fun. I stopped fishing altogether until 1993. When I started fishing again I skipped spin fishing for the most part and went to fly fishing. I fished mostly panfish at first, and then steelhead on the Lake Erie tributaries. I have always had an interest in trout fishing, but there is very little trout fishing in Ohio. I have started taking some day trips to Pennsylvania and a week trip to Michigan each year so maybe I learn how to do it some day. This does put me at a disadvantage. If I were a better caster and fly fisherman it would help me be a better rod builder. I got interested in bamboo fly rods after reading Fishing Bamboo by Gierach. I started searching the web for more information on bamboo rods and started finding sites that had information about building bamboo rods. I got interested so I bought books by Maurer, Garrison, Cattanach, and any thing else I could find. I decided that it would make sense to take a class and see if I really liked it before I started buying the tools, so I started looking for one. I after checking several sites I found that George Maurer's class would be the first one available. I took a class with George in May 2007, decided that I liked it , and started collecting the tools. I have only finished 8 rod at this point, and I have 4 rods I'm building now. I have no interest in selling rods. I just want to learn to build decent rods that fish well and casts well enough so that people can cast them can get a good idea of how a bamboo rod should cast. At this point I'm building different tapers so I can understand the taper better. I don't know where bamboo rod building is going to lead me, other than astray that is. Dave