Colorado Rodmakers Reunion 2005
******
The following biographies were posted on the rodmakers list and compiled by Ralph Moon. They have not been edited except to remove e-mail addresses. Contact me at the following link to add, delete, or edit your biography. I will forward all changes to Todd Talsma so he can include them on the tips site as well.

David Bolin
Contact me

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dan Smith

My name is Dan Smith and I joined the list in 2006. I live in Dallas TX now but grew up in Austin. I lived in Bozeman MT for a couple of years and try to get up there to fish a couple of times a year. I built graphite rods for a number of years before thinking about trying to work with bamboo. I picked up the Maurer/Elser book and spent inordinate amounts of time on Todd's tips site before deciding to take a long weekend class with Harry Boyd in late 2006. I am only managing 2-3 rods per year, but it is funny how important the process has become to me. I always have something on the bench, even if I am not out there standing in front of it for long stretches. I definitely don't post much on the list, but I read it most every day. My biggest contribution to bamboo rodmaking was helping Jim Royston get started making rods a couple of years ago. He has become a close friend and we get together a couple of times a month to cook strips and visit. Of course, it took Jim about 30 minutes to learn everything I know about working with bamboo, but it has really just been nice to have a partner in crime. My wife Kendra and I have a great little baby boy named Graham who is 4 months old. I am working on a Paul Young Midge to give him when he is ready.